Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sicilian Style Meatballs and Fettuccine

In an amazing turn of events, Team Matos has decided to no longer purchase marinara sauce for use in spaghetti. We will still use it when making other dishes that call for marinara sauce, but in a unanimous decision we've agreed that this recipe makes amazing sauce! This now means that we now have recipes that we love for marinara AND alfredo sauce!! And... both sauces are super easy!!




Sicilian-Style Meatballs and Fettuccine
Pillsbury Pasta, Breads & Pizza Snacks - April 1994
The Line Up

10 oz uncooked fettuccine
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage
1/4 c finely minced onion
2 TBSP dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 (14 1/2 oz) can ready to serve beef broth
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TBSP chopped parsley

The Game Plan
Cook fettuccine to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; keep warm. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, bread crumbs and egg; blend well. Shape into thirty 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add meatballs; cook over medium-high heat until well browned and on all sides, add beef broth, tomato paste, salt, garlic powder, basil and pepper; blend well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally. Serve meatballs with sauce over cooked fettuccine; sprinkle with parsley.


Coach's Post Game Conference
Not sure what I need to say about this that I haven't already said. It's definitely a grand slam for Team Matos. I'm not sure, though, that it would taste quite right if we were to make it without the meatballs. The "juices" from the meatballs add a lot of flavor to the sauce. We might try to make it into a meat sauce next by browning the meat rather than making it into meatballs. But we love the meatballs also!!!

Final Score
Coach - Grand Slam
Catcher - Grand Slam
The All-Star - Grand Slam


EXTRA INNINGS - added 2/13/2011
10th Inning - I have begun taking extras of this and freezing them in snack size resealable bags to send in The All Star's lunch box. Two meatballs and a bit of sauce with two Hawiian Sweet rolls (NOT dairy free - 11/7/2013) make amazing meatball mini-subs!!

11th Inning - I've been saying since I found this recipe that I wanted to try it as a meat sauce also, instead of meatballs. I decided to cut the meat in half so I only used 1/2 a pound of ground beef and 1/2 a pound of sweet Italian sausage. The rest of the recipe stayed the same. Again... AH-MAY-ZING!!!

***edited - Please see label disclaimers on True Confessions 11/7/2013***

3 comments:

  1. We Loved it Thanks so much for sharing! It was really easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!! I was a bit intimidated about making meatballs since I have never done that & honestly not a huge meatball lover but after texting the COACH at the grocery store, was reassured that I wouldn't be disappointed! And I wasn't. Super easy & enjoyed by the whole family...except my daughter who isn't big on meatballs or pasta...lol. I might try making meatball subs with this recipe sometime since they were so good! Thanks for sharing...Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The All Star loves taking left overs as part of his lunch!
    I take the left overs (usually not enough for a full meal for the family) freeze 2 meatballs and a bit of sauce in a snack size bag. The night before he wants them, I take them out and put them in the fridge to thaw. I send 2 Hawiian Sweet Rolls with him in his lunch with a spoon. At lunch time he spoons a meatball onto each roll with a bit of sauce.
    I can only imagine that a whole sub would be delicious and might have to try that at our house too.
    I'm planning on making meatsauce instead of meatballs just for a change of texture. Maybe I'll do that over the weekend and see how it works out. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template