Monday, September 13, 2010

True confessions

I figure this is as good of a time as any to make a confession. I am not a cook. For years our meals have been dine-in, take-out, delivery or from a box (you know, brown the meat, boil the water, wait 10 minutes and presto... dinner is served!).
This summer I decided it was time to actually start cooking. I've spent quite a bit of time looking through cook books


(LOTS of cookbooks) trying to find recipes that we will like. I've taken recipes from cookbooks, from the internet and from friends, compiling my own collections of recipes, which is what I plan to share with you... I hope that some of these recipes will be a HIT at your house and find themselves safe at home with your family!

Scoring System
We will be scoring each meal on a basic 5 star system
* = strike out
** = single
*** = double
**** = triple
***** = home run

***Edited - LABEL DISCLAIMER -
"Dairy free" -- Recipes that I have made since going dairy free &/or reviewed and know that the ingredients I used were dairy free -- PLEASE review ALL ingredients on ALL products purchased for dairy free recipes (especially if going dairy free because of allergies). Dairy is hidden in MANY MANY products that I would never have thought of before making the switch for The Rookie
"Can be Dairy free" - upon reviewing some of my older recipes, I have realized that a simple switch here or there can make them dairy free (ex: omitting cheese, or using a diary free cheese, using dairy free spread instead of butter)
"Vegan or Vegetarian" -- this is a BIG one - please note - I am NOT, nor do I claim or pretend to be a practicing vegan OR vegetarian -- this is a very carnivorous house. For MY labeling purposes "vegan or vegetarian" means that it is a "no meat meal". A main dish that consists of no meat. Each vegan & vegetarian has their own set of  "dos and don'ts." If a recipe labeled "vegan or vegetarian" does not meet YOUR standards... either make the necessary substitutions/omissions or DON'T MAKE IT. Please, please PLEASE - do not leave nasty comments about how this recipe isn't up to your standards of vegan or vegetarian. - 11/7/2013***

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your blog! You are now in my Google Reader subscriptions, so I will be watching!

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template